Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Cashmere Reclaim Project

First attempt ever at hand dyeing yarn!

Before: 35g cashmere soaking in vinegar bath.

After: hand painted with grape, fruit punch and orange Kool-Aid. Check out this excellent color chart link: http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/images/colorchart-max.jpg Am very pleased with the range of color I got. Was expecting just purple, red and orange but I got lots of violets, pinks and yellows too. Process is very engrossing. Will do it again! I'm not sure what I'll do with this yarn. Smells really lovely like a popsicle. Is enough for child's socks or maybe cuff of adult socks. Maybe a headband? 8/13/07


Cashmere Baby Socks. Infant size 4 shoe. Approx 9 mo age. Size 5 sts/in gauge, 30 sts CO, size 7US needles, slipped stitch rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks book. I love that book! approx 25g total. Smoother knitting when reclaimed yarn is rinsed and hung to dry. 8/9/07

Boot socks again with baby socks.

Here's the first completed project! Size 48 sts CO, gauge 5.5 sts/in, size 8US needles? Can't remember! *scoff* (size 6 actually!) Pretty much a worsted weight boot sock. Tho not sure anyone would wear a 100% cashmere sock on a hike. Pattern is Open Cable with Twisted Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. Very warm, soft and squishy..definitely for lounging! approx 90g total. 8/6/07

Step 2! I have a new appreciation for people who assemble sweaters! This one was very well done! I felt kinda guilty taking it apart. But here's the haul: 452g of 10-ply appears to be approx. worsted weight, 27g 8-ply appears to be approx. sock yarn and 7g 6-ply which was what was used to seam the parts together. I imagine I can get at least 3 pairs of socks from it...maybe some mittens or baby booties. 7/11/07.
I just got this sweater on Super Clearance at TJMaxx. Is 100% 8-ply cashmere. Would have cost me a fortune to buy this yarn at a yarn store. My crazy idea is to rip it out and reknit it into what else? wait for it...SOCKS! The cashier even said "wow that is a soft sweater!" (Sweater doesn't fit...otherwise I'd just wear it! My fingers end at the start of the sleeve detail and it looks dorky folded up. I suspect sizing was the reason it was on Super Clearance. So wish me luck! 2/21/07.

No comments: